Thursday, February 19, 2015

Be Nice Anyway

Somehow the day has escaped me along with the note for the topic I planned to post. I have my grand-daughters in the afternoon and that is just one lmanic circus event complete with monkey antics and the accompanying mess. No sooner than I think I have one bit sorted than another turns over.

Thankfully, the girls went to bed and even to sleep peacefully. I had a few tasks to complete, then picked up my hook and yarn to complete a hat as a gift before the evening was through.

I love to crochet, to create and occasionally to design. The hat I made is one that I have perfected by following the pattern completely. To say I was excited to make the gift is an understatement. However, it was not received with any enthusiasm. A few nags. A nit pick, A carrying away of the gift.

I was bewildered at the unkindness. I still am.

This week's readings are on compassion and kindness.
The best portion of a good man's life: his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love.  William Wordworth
 Words welled up inside me as the gift left my home. I have them still. Here, I let go of the outcome, the fruit, the results.  I give because I love to give. It is the ego that was seeking a return in that moment. The promise is that when we give, it will be given back to us, good measure, pressed down and running over. I am free to allow this moment to pass in love.

As the car pulled away and I locked the door, I heard the mandate, "Be kind anyway." That reminded my of Mother Teresa's Poem -

Do It Anyway

People are often unreasonable,
illogical and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind,
people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful,
you will win some false friends and true enemies;
Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank,
people may cheat you;
Be honest anyway.
What you spend years building,
someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness,
they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.
The good you do today,
people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have,
and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you’ve got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis,
it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.

Blessings during this journey of reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment